Around 8 million people regularly drink Prosecco in the UK, it’s now our favourite sparkling wine, but how much do you really know about it?
Here’s 10 facts to make you a pro on Prosecco provided by the certified Prosecco DOC:
- Prosecco DOC can be produced only in Italy, specifically in north-east Italy lying between the Dolomites Mountains and the Adriatic Sea.
- Prosecco DOC numbers: 10,242 winegrowers, 1,149 winemakers and 348 sparkling houses spread over 9 provinces in 2 regions (Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia)
- In 2009, the Tutelary Consortium for Prosecco DOC was established, having made since then efforts to manage the production and the market and to protect the products status
- Did you know that in the UK, men buy more Prosecco than women? Recent research conducted by Consorzio Tutela Prosecco DOC has revealed that 56% of Prosecco purchasers at retail are men
- Crazy for fizz: in 2017, 440 million bottles were produced in the Prosecco region, with the UK being the biggest export market
- When buying a bottle of Prosecco, look out for the official blue state seal on the bottle that guarantees the origin and the quality of the product
- Prosecco DOC is created primarily with an autochthonous white grape variety known as Glera, which dates back to Roman times. All varieties of Prosecco must contain a minimum of 85% Glera
- The most famous and popular style of Prosecco is Spumante (sparkling) with a fine and persistent perlage. The other less known typologies are Frizzante (semi – sparkling) with a lighter effervescence and Tranquillo, with no bubbles.
- It’s not difficult to pair Prosecco DOC with food – it goes well with everything! Thanks to its characteristic floral and fruity aroma, and a fresh, light and lively taste, it goes perfectly with dishes from both the Italian and international cuisine.
- With its moderate alcoholic strength, Prosecco DOC has been a source of inspiration and a key ingredient for many cocktails including Aperol Spritz, Cosmopolitan and Negroni Sbagliato to name just a few
Experience Prosecco DOC’s amazing selection of sparkling wines at our showcase on the 13th more information here.
Find out more about sparkling wine at www.prosecco.wine