Following the opening of Mambow on Commercial Street back in February, chef Abby Lee has pivoted her home style ‘mama’s kitchen’ to bring you Mambow At Home: a series of Malaysian-style build your own meal boxes, cooked by mama at Mambow but finished off and served at home.
Abby Lee gained her diploma at Le Cordon Bleu in London, honed her skills growing up in her family’s bakeries in Singapore and Malaysia before moving to Italy to cook at Michelin-starred Pashà Ristorante near the city of Bari. It is her time in Singapore and Malaysia that inspired her new series of unique Mambow At Home menus, kicking off with the Nyonya Summer Series. Marrying the best of Malaysian, Chinese, Indonesian and Thai cuisines, Nyonya cooking – which comes from the Peranakans, descendants of early Chinese migrants inter-marrying local Malays – is a unique and flavoursome combination of tangy, spicy, herby and aromatic. Thai herbs, Malay curries and Chinese stews are the star of the show, and Abby’s Nyonya Summer Series features the lot.
Mambow At Home lets customers build their own box with their choice of main, 2 sides and a dessert, which will be delivered to your door along with a set of ‘how-to’ instructions for the finishing touches that will have you cooking up a storm in no time. For the main event, dishes include:
- Char Siu: pork shoulder marinated in a mixture of ginger, honey and hoisin cooked low ‘n’ slow ready to be finished off on a high heat with the king of all glazes – chilli oil style BBQ sauce and pickled chillies for that sticky, spicy hit
- Tofu Kapitan (VE, GF): a dish of fried tofu Kapitan with crispy charred courgettes and confit tomatoes sitting in a light curry made up of the Asian famous five -turmeric, lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime, coconut milk and served with a side of pickles.
A tempting selection of sides are on offer, with a choice of two to be paired with your main:
- Nasi Ulam (VE, GF): a black rice salad packed full of mixed herbs with shredded kaffir lime leaves, thai basil, mint, coriander, lemongrass, kerisik (pounded toasted coconut), calamansi lime and Mama’s signature house sambal
- Smoky Aubergines (GF): Spicy sour Nyonya-style marinated shallots in a chilli-garlic sauce cut with Calamansi lime, crispy dried shrimps and shrimp oil all atop some smoky roast aubergines
- Ngoh Hiang: Crispy bean curd parcels from the gods, stuffed full of a pork, prawn and five spice blend that is in danger of being too good, served up alongside the house made sriracha
- Rojak Salad (VE, GF): The four horsemen of flavour – sweet, spicy, sour and crunchy come together in this little number with courgette and pineapple being joined by crispy tempeh and topped with a peanut, tamarind and house sambal dressing
No box is complete without one of mama’s extraordinary desserts. Currently on offer is a Gula Melaka n’ Dark Chocolate Tart – a coconut palm sugar caramel and dark chocolate tart – the perfect finale to your Mambow At Home Nyonya feast.
Abby says, “Growing up in Singapore, I was able to discover all the different parts of Malaysian cuisine. I also spent a lot of time at my family’s bakery where I learned the importance of beginning every recipe with quality ingredients and cooking nutritious food with soul at its heart. Lockdown gave me the opportunity to do a lot of cooking at home, which ultimately led to the development of my new Mambow At Home menu, which is a reflection of the flavours and food I grew up around.